The City of Dunedin, population 37,000, is located on the West Coast of Florida. In 1850, the City was settled by Scots and has continued to keep the Scottish Heritage as part of the community. The City of Dunedin is currently sister city to Stirling, Scotland and Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. The City of Dunedin Pipe Band started in 1964 as an outlet for young adults that had taken up piping and drumming while attending Dunedin schools. Dunedin has a Scottish arts program headed by Pipe Major Iain Donaldson and Drumming Director Eric MacNeill that begins at Dunedin Middle School, carries graduates over to Dunedin High School, and continues with adults in the City of Dunedin Pipe Band. The band is a 501(c)(3) public charity organization focused on education and continuing the Scottish arts.
Members of the Band are all volunteers and donate their time and efforts to maintain their status as a first-class band. When they compete throughout the United States, Canada, and Great Britain, they act as ambassadors for the City of Dunedin and the State of Florida. Excellence in leadership, hard work, enthusiasm, talent, and innovative ideas are elements that have made this band one of the best in the country.
The Organization is currently made up of four competitive units – Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, and a Grade 5 pipe band. From January through October each year, the Bands compete in highland games’ competitions across Florida and several events throughout the United States. Every summer, the Bands travel to Canada, Scotland, England, or Ireland to compete in contests to continue improving their international status.
The City Dunedin Pipe Band wears the Edgewater tartan.
- 2018 Grade 2 North American Champions (Maxville, Ontario)
- 2017 World Pipe Band Championships, Grade 2, 4th Place Final (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 2016 Grade 2 North American Champions (Maxville, Ontario)
- 2015 Grade 4 North American Champions (Maxville, Ontario)
- 2014 Grade 3 North American Champions (Maxville, Ontario)
2018 City of Dunedin Pipe Band Officers
- President – Bo Taylor
- Vice President – Gary Smith
- Treasurer – Carl Doyle
- Secretary – Susan Elftman
- Piping Director – Iain Donaldson
- Drumming Director – Eric MacNeill
- Member At Large – Graham Donaldson
- Member At Large – Josh Blais
- Member At Large – Bill Buzzell